Workout Design Solutions for Gymnasium & Fitness Studios
The project description
30 August 2019
Mobile App, Custom Backend, API, Front End Design
Gymnasium, Fitness Studio, Workout, Exercises
The client is a certified professional Gym instructor. And also provides consulting services to other gymnasiums. As an affiliate service provider, the trainer dispenses scheduled workouts to other Gymnasiums & Fitness studios. The client desires to provide dedicated workouts to each Gymnasium & Fitness studio. But faced difficulties allocating workouts through its present portal. Hence, the need to find a solution to save time and cater to trouble-free workouts. We at Esurgent suggested, designing an exercise routine (workout). Then after refracting to other Gymnasiums & Fitness studios with an app (android/ iOS).
- The client had to design workouts manually using sheets and they were sent out manually via email every single day.
- The current process was not accurate and time-consuming.
- Issues were present in providing customized workouts to other Gymnasiums & Fitness studios.
- Needs a proper visual display mechanism, which can coincide with other electronic gadgets ( TV, Mobile, Tablet screens, etc.)
Project Execution Challenges
- Requirement elicitation VS Estimation
The client had a very limited budget for POC. As he wanted to first try and see the response from their customers. And then decide to proceed with the actual development or not.
- The sound file was not playing in Safari Browser
- The client requested to have different types of Training.
Initially, the client wanted to design workouts by simply adding multiple exercises in 1 workout and setting raps, rounds, exercise time, and rest. Later on, the client also wanted to incorporate AMRAP training too. Which is different than standard TABATA or HIIT. And we had to change the whole logic of the workout design.
- App UI compatibility to a large screen.
Initially, the client had asked for only Portrait mode UI. And accessible on Mobile devices only so he can cast it. But later client requested to play the app directly on the large screen Smart TV. i.e. Apple TV, Android TV, etc. For which the UI must get adjusted accordingly which was reinventing the wheel at the last moment. This required a lot of adjustments in UI and increased the testing efforts drastically.
- Importing thousands of Exercise and workout
We have given functionality to add Exercises and Create workouts. But the client requested to provide him with a way to do bulk imports without spending much time. Hence, we provided him the ability to import data using an excel file. Which steps were as follow:
- Download the excel file from the admin panel.
Fill up data in an excel file in the same format as it supposes to be.
Once data is inserted upload the excel file so all the data will be inserted into the system.
- Firstly, we provided a web application that works on the internet browser. (chrome, safari, or another browser)
- The website executes customized work out for a couple of days and dispatches it to other Gymnasiums & Fitness studios.
- While developing, we found an error in iOS mobiles that Audio was not active (not operational)
- Since iOS mobile was not audible, we provided native Android and iOS mobile applications as a tested solution.
- The application helps other Gyms & Fitness studios to get their daily workouts.
- The application can set two different workouts weekly And divide them into cardiovascular exercise and weight training.
- The app was compatible to add customized workouts with catalog exercises, total reps, pulse and count on exercise time, etc.
- Admin can provide URL with username and password to other Gym & Fitness studios to login to the application.
- Workout Management is the key part of this mobile application, where admins can create, update or delete workouts as per their requirements.
- Other Gym & Fitness studios can see the list of workouts and also can alter the workout according to their needs.
- The user can see a list of workouts, a list of exercises in each workout, Workout name, Total rounds, current exercise, exercise time, Repeat count and exercise YouTube link.
- Once any user selects any workout, that exercises get displayed in sequence ( Audio, Visual along with short breaks between two exercises )
- We consolidate YouTube videos of each exercise that helps beginners to understand the proximity of any exercise while performing.
- Backend System: Laravel, MySQL Database
- iPhone App: Xcode IDE, Apple iOS SDK, UI Kit, High Carts API
- Android App: Android Studio IDE, Google Android SDK
- Many Gym & Fitness studios are opting for the client’s solutions.
- Gym & Fitness studios are receiving daily checks of workouts from clients for performance accuracy.
- With this app installed, the Gymnasium & Fitness studios can operate their workout routines much more smoothly. And without any effort, as daily workouts are being uploaded regularly.
- Gymnasium & Fitness studios are benefiting from Instant workout plans.
- The system is user-friendly anyone can access it and follow guidelines for their ultimate workout.
- The client can easily add/update/delete workouts and exercises.